The Witness (previously The Natal Witness) is a daily newspaper published in Pietermaritzburg. It mainly serves readers in Pietermaritzburg, Durban and the inland areas of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
It is the oldest continuously published newspaper in South Africa, having first been published on 27 February 1846. Until 2000, when it became 50 percent owned by the Naspers subsidiary Media24 group, it was the last independently owned mainstream daily newspaper in South Africa. Media24 signed an agreement to buy the remaining 50% shares in the Natal Witness Printing and Publishing company in July 2010.
- Puzzles | December 4, 2023by Witness Reporter on December 4, 2023 at 8:11 am
- Man killed in drive-by shooting in Chatsworthby Witness Reporter on December 4, 2023 at 7:31 am
ALS Paramedics, who were on scene of a drive-by shooting in Chatsworth, reported that one person was killed.
- ‘No-go area’ councillors must face criminal chargesby Chris Ndaliso on December 4, 2023 at 5:21 am
Two Msunduzi councillors are alleged to have encouraged residents in their communities to chase meter readers away.
- Malema lambasts ANC, IFP during address in Pietermaritzburgby Chris Ndaliso on December 4, 2023 at 5:17 am
Malema accused KZN leaders of having 'limited thinking capacity'.
- Traditional leaders appeal for help as killings continue in KZNby Lethiwe Makhanya on December 4, 2023 at 5:11 am
The chairperson of Ubumbano LweZinduna in KZN said the increase in the number of murders is concerning.
- Outcry as NGO lays off staffby Chris Ndaliso on December 4, 2023 at 5:05 am
Land rights organisation Afra set to retrench three fieldworkers due to lack of funds.
- Dunveria property owners upset over delay in fixing leaking reservoirby Shorné Bennie on December 4, 2023 at 4:59 am
Some of the yards in the area have been waterlogged ever since the reservoir started leaking a few years ago.
- SA fashion talent is earning global recognition, says industry iconby Witness Reporter on December 4, 2023 at 4:55 am
The fashion students' creative prowess was showcased by how effectively all of them interpreted various themes.
- Msunduzi commits R39 million to fight against potholesby Ntombizethu Ngcobo on December 4, 2023 at 4:50 am
The report from the roads department indicates that much of the city's road network has reached the "end-of-life" stage.